Monday, September 9, 2013

Guest Viewpoint by The Rev. Dr. Doug Harper

A number of my colleagues are in churches either seeking to leave the PC(USA) or have already left. They have left for many of the same reasons that we are leaving, which I have articulated in previous posts. We are not new to ministry, but we are also not able to see the issues from the experience of a lifetime of ministry, which means that we are at risk of what C. S. Lewis calls chronological snobbery. To keep myself in check, I value the ideas of Teaching and Ruling Elders with far more experience than me. On the matter of seeking dismissal, what I hear from respected "elder statesmen" is that leaving is a faithful and right choice. FPC Douglasville heard from two of our retired pastors, Leon Jeffords and Sandy Fox, that leaving is a faithful and good decision. I have heard that same affirmation from many other elder statesmen of the church. I thought it would be helpful for you to hear from another retired pastor, in particular my father. He has watched the denomination drift for a long time and he has worked for decades towards its renewal. He has never before endorsed leaving, but that has changed. He believes that the PC(USA) has crossed a rubicon. If you know my father's history of dedication to the denomination, you know he does not arrive at this position lightly and you know that the problems are quite serious. His perspective his helpful for my own thoughts on leaving and may help you as well.


One Step Too Far
by Dr. M. Douglas Harper Jr.


After 60 years of ordained ministry in the Presbyterian Church U.S. and in the Presbyterian Church (USA), with great sadness I have concluded that if I were Pastor of a congregation today I would be willing to lead that congregation so seek dismissal to another Reformed denomination.  Specifically, I would advocate their becoming part of ECO. This conclusion is all the more surprising because from 1978-1981 I worked diligently as a member of the Joint Committee on Church Union to end the 120+ year-old Civil War-induced split between the major Southern and Northern branches of the Presbyterian Church.

What has happened to make me reach this conclusion?   I believe that recent judicial proceedings as well as an action of the 2012 General Assembly have turned authority in our denomination upside-down.  This is what I mean:  I was taught and still believe that the Bible is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice.  I was taught and still believe that the Book of Confessions is our secondary authority, always subject to correction by Scripture.  It was with that understanding that I helped write the Brief Statement of Faith, the most recent addition to our Book of Confessions.

This means that, as I was taught and still believe, the Book of Order as well as all actions of assemblies and commissions rank third in authority after the Bible and the Book of Confessions. Their actions must conform to these two higher authorities.  However, the 2012 General Assembly received a motion to amend the Book of Order and debated it in spite of a point of order that the motion was clearly in conflict with the Book of Confessions.  The proposed motion was defeated. This does not change the fact that by this action a sitting General Assembly, as James Goodloe notes, “knowingly and willingly rejected the confessions as having any say so about the faith, life or government of the church.” (Paper, “The Church One and Holy”, p. 13)  This is consistent with the decision made by the General Assembly Permanent Judicial Commission earlier in 2012 in a case originating in San Francisco Presbytery.

This turns authority in the church upside-down!  The order is no longer the Bible, then the Book of Confessions, and only after that the Book of Order and the decisions of commissions and councils.  Now the decisions of the General Assembly and commissions and councils outrank both the Confessions and the Bible. They may not – and I pray they will not—follow the logic of their own decisions.  There is, however, no longer any constitutional barrier to their doing so.

Clearly, these are perilous times for the faith and spiritual life of members and congregations in the PC (USA)!  When I was a Pastor (I am now retired) I did my best to nurture the faith and life of the congregations I served. This meant faithfully following the teachings of Scripture and upholding the Reformed faith in accordance with the confessions of our church.  I do not believe that pastoral faithfulness means allowing the decisions of the most recent General Assembly or the latest decisions of various Permanent Judicial Commissions to  define what we should believe and how we should live.
For that reason, with great sorrow I must conclude that if I were presently the Pastor of a congregation I would seek an orderly way to unite with a Reformed body that still holds to the Bible as its supreme authority for faith and life and the confessions as authoritative insofar as they follow the teachings of Scripture.  

8 comments:

  1. Dr. Harper:
    your statements say a lot. I have read them twice this pm and find that I agree with you and feel that a large majority of our church feels the same way. I can remember my church be split asunder many years ago by the viewpoints of my Sunday School teacher. He was the best I have ever listened too and learned from, but he let that power of being able to reach out and really make the lesson come to life become something bigger than it should have been. It was not a pleasant scenario then and I don't think it will be now. My faith is strong knowing that GOD will lead and all I have to do is follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doug for your insight and heartfelt comments. It is a sad situation but one full of promise of a brighter tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James and Doug,

    Thanks for the thoughtful blog. In this post, I recognize the GA 220 point of order discussion, but not the specific GAPJC decisions to which the post refers. Would you clarify?

    Thanks,

    David McCarty
    Houston, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! The specific case is Parnell et. al and Walnut Creek Presbyterian Church vs. the Presbytery of San Francisco. Here is a link to the decision: http://oga.pcusa.org/media/uploads/oga/pdf/pjc22010.pdf.

      Delete
  4. James and Doug: Thank you for this. Contend for the faith! Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rev Harper you statements sadden me. You were a major influence on our family joining GPC in Houston.
    As with you, I don't agree what thein the PCUSA structure the affect change? Surely there's a better way than just throwing our hands and saying "I quit!" and walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, An excellent exit would not only throwing up of hands and saying,"I quit," but adding "I surrender my will to the Lord!" Whilst shaking the very dust from our sandles. Then the Lord is faithful to lead, comfort, instruct, strengthen us for the journey. Though I cannot abide in their wayward path, I pray for PC (USA) even still, as He deals with those who choose and have chosen to remain. There are times when the words "I quit!" is not only appropriate, but mandated. Pray for those who sense God's call to leave, as I pray for His purpose to be revealed in and through you whether you decide to stay with PC (USA) or if you decide to share the journey toward becoming part of ECO or other faithfully Reformed congregation. I know Dr Harper's influence on your life must surely have shown you it's not the building, GPC, or the friends we make along our journey that makes us His Church, but Jesus Christ. I too am endeared to the Harper family, and am most thankful for the great gifts of scholarship and leadership the Lord has given us through them.

    ReplyDelete